The surveys were open for 67 days from October to December 2014. Overall survey participation and respondents’ participation experience are summarized by the following statistics:
- Survey participation
- 43 unique links to the surveys.
- 10,813 hits on the surveys.
- 7,249 complete commuter responses.
- 213 complete employer responses.
- Respondents’ participation experience
- Average completion time was 18 minutes.
- 9 percent used a mobile device.
- 84 percent agreed survey was user friendly.
- 4,550 shared email addresses for follow‑up.
The response is not a random sample but is a large dataset of responses indicative of a variety of commuters in the greater Houston region, such as:
- People born in the region to recent transplants.
- Students to senior career level.
- People seeking employment, retirees, people with one job, and people with two or more jobs.
- Adult men and women of all ages, household sizes, income levels, and race/ethnicity.
- People with no personal vehicle and people with multiple personal vehicles.
Although findings are not discussed in terms of the overall population because the sample is non-random, the response is largely equivalent to the region’s population in broad terms. The image at right depicts how each response represents only the opinions of the respondent; whereas if responses had been collected scientifically random each response could have been weighted to represent approximately 300 commuters in greater Houston.
Commuter Response Snapshot
The snapshot below includes both complete and partial commuter responses remaining in the survey databases after data processing. Please note that employer responses are not shown in their own report as they required more hands-on analysis outside of SurveyGizmo.